If you are going to use your LinkedIn profile to promote yourself or your business, be sure you jazz it up a bit. Make sure your content is informative and interesting and that you use the new features and tools to add color and content.
Even if you don’t want to spend much time on LinkedIn, try our 5 easy steps. They will give your profile depth and make you more interesting to your connections.
1) Make sure you profile is complete with present and previous positions, education, awards and specialties.
2) Give and request recommendations and endorsements. Write thoughtful recommendations for connections that point out an exceptional or unique circumstance or attribute. Don’t be shy, request recommendations from connections that will share your talents and achievements. The new Skills and Expertise Endorse from your contact’s profile page is a quick, easy way to show your support for your connections.
3) Use the People You May Know section to increase your connections. LinkedIn will make recommendations based on commonalities between you and other members. For example, you may have common connections, similar profile information and experiences, work at the same company or in the same industry, or attended the same school.
4) Use the LinkedIn Profile recommendations to add to your profile. You can add interests, publications, honors and awards to add dimension to your accomplishments and showcase your skills. Use the LinkedIn Help Center to find out more.
5) Upload a presentation or document about you, your company or a topic of expertise. Go to “Share an update” and give a brief explanation of your content and add a link to an online page. You can also attach a file to share.
These are 5 easy steps to jazz up your LinkedIn profile. For more ideas, go to the LinkedIn Help Center. Experiment with other options like Pulse to follow Influencers and Channels. If you don’t like the result, options are easy to remove.